By Teresa A. Meade
A better half to Gender historical past surveys the historical past of girls around the globe, reports their interplay with males in gendered societies, and appears on the function of gender in shaping human habit over millions of years.
- An large survey of the heritage of ladies all over the world, their interplay with males, and the function of gender in shaping human habit over millions of years.
- Discusses kin heritage, the heritage of the physique and sexuality, and cultural heritage along women’s historical past and gender historical past.
- Considers the significance of sophistication, area, ethnicity, race and faith to the formation of gendered societies.
- Contains either thematic essays and chronological-geographic essays.
- Gives due weight to pre-history and the pre-modern period in addition to to the trendy period.
- Written through students from around the English-speaking global and students for whom English isn't really their first language.
Read Online or Download A Companion to Gender History PDF
Similar feminist theory books
The 13 specially-commissioned essays during this quantity are designed to supply an obtainable and stimulating advisor via a space of philosophical concept and literature that has obvious titanic growth lately. They surround all of the center topic parts in most cases taught in anglophone undergraduate and graduate philosophy classes, delivering either an outline of and a contribution to the suitable debates.
This richly woven heritage levels from the 17th century to the current because it masterfully lines the stream of yankee ladies out of the house and into the general public sphere. Matthews examines the innovative warfare interval, while ladies exercised political energy in the course of the boycott of loved ones items and Elizabeth Freeman effectively sued for freedom from enslavement in a single of the 2 circumstances that ended slavery in Massachusetts.
With stop-and-frisk legislation, new immigration regulations, and cuts to social welfare courses, majorities within the usa have more and more supported intensified kinds of punishment and marginalization opposed to Black, Latino, Arab and Muslim humans within the usa, whilst a majority of electorate declare to help "colorblindness" and racial equality.
The time period "feminism" got here into English utilization round the Nineties, yet women's wakeful fight to withstand discrimination and sexist oppression is going again a lot additional. Introducing Feminism surveys the foremost advancements that experience affected women's lives from the 17th century to the current day. "Readers who've forgotten the struggles of ladies who got here generations—and centuries—before will relish this good-looking little advisor introducing the fundamentals of feminist conception.
- Gossips, Gorgons and Crones: The Fates of the Earth
- The Good-Natured Feminist: Ecofeminism and the Quest for Democracy
- Mainstreaming Gender, Democratizing The State?: Institutional Mechanisms for the Advancement of Women
- Key Concepts in Feminist Theory and Research
- Feminists Read Habermas (Thinking Gender)
- Greek Scepticism: Anti-Realist Trends in Ancient Thought
Additional info for A Companion to Gender History
Excessive heterosexual libido led to nymphomania in women, satyriasis in men. Sadism (named by the sexologist Richard von Krafft-Ebing after the Marquis de Sade) was an exaggeration of normal sexual aggression and dominance; masochism – pleasure taken in being dominated – was its contrary, passive expression. Deficiencies in what was believed to be the innate aim of sexual libido – to have intercourse with the opposite sex – produced attractions to inappropriate objects or bizarre actions that fell well short of full heterosexual intercourse.
Social scientists discovered child sexuality and “adolescence” in the first decades of the century, but their response was to treat the tumultuous uncertainty of youthful sexuality as a problem to be solved, disciplined, and turned to “healthy” ends. Schemata for “normal” childhood development permeated public health and hygiene activities and youth organizations such as scouting and church groups, putting adults on guard against aberrant behavior. Menarche was converted from a private family matter to a public and hygienic rite and was integrated smoothly into consumer culture.
But gradually, beginning in the middle of the fifteenth century, merchant capitalists and protoindustrial capitalist production began to threaten guild control over craft production. In turn, gender divisions sharpened as guilds began to distinguish more carefully between highly paid skilled work reserved for men and unskilled work deemed acceptable for women, and even succeeded in getting cities to pass laws restricting women’s access to certain kinds of work. When women continued to ply their trades in the home (linen weavers in Germany are a prime example), guilds devalued women’s home-based production because it fell outside of the domain of guild control.
A Companion to Gender History by Teresa A. Meade